As a Product Owner in an Agile environment I’m the intermediate between product managers and the development team.
This involves validating and challenging customer requirements and converting them into product specifications that can be implemented by the development teams.
In creating these product specifications, customer involvement plays an essential role and uses techniques like interactive prototypes and “Specification by Example”. Early validation by customers using interactive prototypes is an essential part of the design process.
Summary of the functional domain:
• Maintenance Planning
• Resource planning
• Mobile field services
• Mobile app development (iOS, Android, Windows Phone 8)
Product Owner @ Planon (November 2012 – Present)
• Supporting a development team containing 7 developers & 4 testers.
• Qualification of new backlog items
• Clearly expressing Product Backlog items
• Ordering the items in the Product Backlog to best achieve goals and missions, set by Product Management and Product Development policy
• Optimizing the value of the work the development team performs
• Ensuring that the Product Backlog is visible, transparent, and clear to all, and shows what the scrum team will work on next
• Ensuring the development team understands items in the Product Backlog to the level needed
• Ensuring the product meets quality standards to achieve and maintain customer satisfaction.
• Giving demonstrations of the newly implemented features towards stakeholders
• A groomed product backlog
• An optimal team velocity
Functional designer @ Planon (October 2007 – November 2012)
• Understanding the different user roles targeted with the product features you design
• Thinking about how different user roles may want the product features you design to behave
• Regularly evaluate designs with Product Owner, team members, customers and other stakeholders.
• Support Product Owners in defining Product Backlog items which are independent, testable and appropriately sized
• Support testers in defining acceptance tests for features you design.
• Support team in splitting Product Backlog items into sprint tasks
• Understanding the impact of any decision you make on the team’s velocity
• Maintain up-to-date knowledge level
• Conduct the business according to applicable law and company rules
• Initiate process optimization on all above mentioned areas
• Timely availability of functional designs
• Correct translation of functional designs into working software and user documentation
• Meeting project deadlines
Scrum master @ Planon (August 2009 – April 2012)
Improving the software development processes and coaching colleagues both inside and outside the software development department.
Understanding the impact on the team’s velocity of decisions made inside and outside the development team and making sure all stakeholders are aware of this.
Software Tester @ Polderland L&S Technology (July 2002 – September 2003)
Polderland L&S Technology delivered the Dutch spelling checker for Microsoft.
It was my responsibility to test the Dutch spelling checker for all available Microsoft Office versions.
• Bachelor’s degree Bedrijfskundige Informatica @ Hogeschool Arnhem Nijmegen (2002 – 2007)
• Certified scrum master (2009)
Skills & Competences
• Agile methodologies like Kanban & Scrum
• Specification by Example
• Mastering the requirements process
• Adobe Photoshop
• Axure Interactive Wireframe Software & Mockup
• Emotional empathy towards other people which results in good communication skills
• Fluent in Dutch & English
• Sports (Basketbal, Soccer)
• IT trends & Social media